Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Best Things in Life are Free

Well, to say that I have neglected my blog updates is the understatement of the century. I just returned back to Springfield after a very memorable weekend at home. Tomorrow I will begin my last week here at Coxhealth in Springfield. On the one hand, my time here has flown, while on the other, I really miss my friends and am ready to return to normal in Conway. I will reflect on my clinical in a later blog, but for now I will give a summary of my busy weekend.

Now that it's all said and done, I can't believe I even considered missing out on such a wonderful weekend. After spending last weekend completely alone, I am realizing that having family and friends that love you and are there for you is truly a blessing. So, without much consideration of the 10 hours of driving, I decided to make a surprise roadtrip home to be with family for our annual reunions.

On Friday, I went in early and worked 7-3:30 so that I could head out as soon as possible. My CI is very thoughtful and sweet and sent me out the door at 3:00. Due to the excitement and anxiety of getting home, I made it home in only 4.5 hours! First stop was mamaw and papaw's for a short visit and to change clothes before the football game. The plan was to surprise them, and just show up at the door, but I didn't want to cause any heart attacks. ;-) So, I called them when I was a couple hours out and let them know. They were very happy and still very surprised. After a short visit and wardrobe change, I headed farther south to the Woodlawn homecoming game. I hadn't been back for a few years, so it was crazy to see how much everything had changed. The best part at the game was the look on my dad and sister's face when I walked up in the stands! My mom wasn't surprised as I had accidentally let the surprise slip the night before without thinking..silly me. At the game I got to visit with some friends from high school AND watch the bears win the homecoming game! It was great to be back!

On Saturday I was able to sleep in while Dad and Leah hit the woods for bow season. After going for a run, it was time to get ready for the day's festivities. We headed to the fire department for the McCoskey family reunion at lunch. I really enjoyed getting to be there with my family and visiting with others that we don't get to see very often.

The McCoskey Brothers and Sister
Uncle Donnie, Mamaw, Uncle Jimmy, and Uncle Jerry at the McCoskey reunion


After lunch, we headed back home to prepare for the arrival of the Jacks side of the family. I guess I should explain that much of the family is inter-connected...it is Arkansas right?! ha. So, my mamaw and her brother married my papaw and his sister, which leads to lots of double first-cousins! For this reason, when the family comes in for the family reunion, we might as well celebrate both sides on the same day!

Leah and I at the Jacks' reunion

The Jacks' Brothers and Sisters
Uncle Bennie, Aunt Zelma Rita, Aunt Carolyn, Aunt Mary, and Papaw at the Jacks' reunion


Everyone starting arriving around 5, loaded down with dishes and kiddos. It was such a beautiful day and thankfully we were able to spend lots of time outside. Mom had a very cute photo-op area decorated for family pictures, so we were able to capture the day.

My family. I like how you can see all the decorations in this picture.

My family

Also, we took this time to celebrate the upcoming 40th birthday of the twins, Merry and Sherry, my dad's double first-cousins. Merry's husband provided the cake and picture, and we all sang them a happy birthday.
Sherry and Merry

The twins' baby picture and 40th birthday cake

We all enjoyed eating supper together, and the kiddos especially enjoyed watching the deer come out to the feeder in the field. After supper, mom had bought a pinatta, and the kids enjoyed taking turns swinging until it finally burst and they all ran after the candy.

After all the family left, I headed to Monticello to see my friends Ashley, Chris, and Ben. We went to see the movie, EasyA, which was a total flop, but it doesn't matter with this crew. After the movie, we played cards and caught up on what has been going on...

On Sunday, it was good to be back at my home church. After church, we headed home for dad to open his birthday present. His birthday was last wednesday, but due to all the craziness, this was the first opportunity we had. Leah picked out a foot-massaging machine, a perfectly fitting gift for him!

After loading my car and saying goodbyes to dad and Leah, mom and I headed to Star City to have lunch with Bo, Uncle John Hugh, and Aunt Kay. It was good to visit over a delicious lunch. As you can see, family and food were a huge theme of my weekend! After lunch and a quick visit, I said my goodbyes and headed north for a looooooong drive. I was able to visit with several friends on the phone and this really helps to pass the time. Overall, I think you can see I had quite a busy weekend, but one that I wouldn't have missed for the world. If there is only one thing i've learned during this clinical experience in Springfield, it's the importance of being around the ones you love.....It's really true that the best things in life are free.

No comments:

Post a Comment