Friday, October 8, 2010

The End of a Chapter


Self-portrait on my new computer, purchased during my time here

Though it seems like yesterday I was preparing to move to Springfield, now I sit here wondering where the past 8 weeks have gone. I am all packed up, ready to head back to Conway tomorrow, and just want to reflect on these past 2 months.

Coming to Springfield for my 2nd clinical rotation has been in the plans for a while now, over a year to be exact. I had anticipated it for a while and looked forward to a nice break from classes. Never did I expect to have a new "home away from home", but that is exactly how it's been. From day one, my Aunt Julie and Uncle Ron accepted me into their home and made me feel very welcome. I have greatly enjoyed our talks, the free advice, yummy dinners, football saturdays, piano lessons, craft time, long walks, comedy wednesdays, and learning how to relax. =) It is amazing how time flies when you're having fun! I can never thank these two enough for making me feel right at home.

As far as my clinical, it was also the ideal experience. I immediately felt welcome in the therapy department and had an amazing CI (clinical instructor), Amy. The "lunch crew" called me over on day 1, and from there on out I enjoyed our daily lunches in the cafeteria! Sweet potato fries are my new favorite. =) Outside of my regular work, I enjoyed observing with some of the other therapists. Byron, a PT, took me in when Amy was out of town for a week and I enjoyed his laid-back therapy style. Maggie, a speech therapist, let me observe 2 different occasions, both of which I will remember forever. First was to watch a feeding with a precious angel in the NICU that had a cleft palate. She had to be fed at just the right angle and speed so that the liquid didn't go through the holes in the palate to the brain. This reminded me of the incredible design God planned out in creation. The second time was with one of my PT patients in ICU that was recovering from a motorcycle accident, from which he was expected to do. He had been intubated and sedated, so still has a trach. Maggie was introducing him to the speaking valve that would cover his trach and allow him to talk for the first time in weeks. I got to witness his first words, and after he realized it really worked, he teared up and kept saying, "Thank you God, my prayers were answered". All his nurses and family were so excited and touched by this medical miracle. Necollette, another PT, let me follow her around in the neonatal ICU a couple of different times to see PT for the babies. Once, I was able to hold a 33-week-old infant and do some therapy. Another time, I assisted her with making a brace for a spina bifada infant with clubfoot. Dennis, another PT and Paul's (classmate) CI, let me help out with a baclofen trial. This was a neat experience since I have learned about these and seen patient's with the pump, but never at this stage of the process.

As I've said, I had a wonderful clinical experience, thanks mostly to my CI, Amy. I was her first student, but I would never have guessed this by the way she handled things. In the beginning, she eased me into each situation, giving me more and more freedom as I felt comfortable. Throughout the clinical, she pointed out areas I could improve in, and I was greatful for her constructive criticism. Never once did she belittle me or make me feel dumb for not knowing what or how to do something. I can really look back and see how I've grown and my physical therapy abilities over this short 8-week period. I could never thank Amy enough for all the knowledge she has shared and instilled in me. Also, for whipping me into shape with those 8-flights of stairs multiple times during the day. She is a perfect example of how to model the importance of health and fitness throughout the lifespan. Now looking back, there are countless patients and experiences from the past 8 weeks that I will never forget. I only hope that in some way I was able to make a small, positive impact on their lives.

Today for lunch, Amy, Anna, and Dennis took Paul and I out to lunch at Red Robin. We enjoyed the bottomless fries and having good PT conversation over lunch. After a few more patients and lots of computer and paperwork, my time at Coxhealth in Springfield is complete. It feels like my time here has flown. I will never forget the things I have learned, both at work and at home. I'm not sure where life will take me, but I know I will always be welcome here.

1 comment:

  1. LJ you are such a beautiful person. Can't wait to see your smiling face tomorrow morning. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete