Monday, April 4, 2011

Go! 5k for Autism Research

This past weekend I got to spend the a few days with several of my favorite people. On friday my BFF Nicki drove down to Woodlawn and got to see where I'm from for the first time. After a quick tour, we headed down to Monticello, to get some grub and get in bed. We stayed the night at Brandon's house so we'd be that much closer to the race, hence getting to "sleep in" till 6:30.

Nicki, me, and mom

Bright and early, we made it to the Monticello city park and began the race at 8 o'clock sharp. The race course was beautiful, going through the downtown streets of Monticello by all the nice homes. The weather was also perfect!!! Nicki and I had a good run, despite the massive rolling hills that we had NOT trained for. I started to get cramps right before the last stretch, but Nicki kept me going! We made it to the finish in 31 minutes and 16 seconds!

Which put us in 3rd place in our age category! Also, at the time we thought Tasha had gotten 3rd in her age category also, but later we found out she got 2nd.

Nicki and I were very proud of our finish!

All of our hard training finally paid off!

This is the pic that went on Monticellolive.com, of all the top finishers in each category

Just before leaving the park, posing in front of the finish. What a fun race!

After the race, Nicki, mom, and I headed to the Marketplace flea market, a first experience for all of us. We all really enjoyed looking through all the booths and found several items to purchase. I was very impressed at the amount of crafty and nice things for sale. After shopping, we picked up Brandon and headed to So Goody's for lunch, which was delicious! We decided this will have to become a tradition: running the 5k, shopping at the marketplace, then topping it off with lunch! It's always fun to spend the day having fun with the people you love the most!

No comments:

Post a Comment